Re: inconsistency between forms and sql*plus?

From: Thomas Kyte <tkyte_at_us.oracle.com>
Date: Sat, 06 Mar 1999 02:59:35 GMT

A copy of this was sent to "Brandon Lee" <brand_at_tm.net.my> (if that email address didn't require changing) On Sat, 6 Mar 1999 10:38:00 +0800, you wrote:

>hi,
> i am wondering why when i issues DML command from the forms, my changes
>will not take effect unless followed by a commit statement. in sql*plus,
>the DML command takes effect immediately within the same user (not other
>user). can anyone explain why in forms this is so?

forms locks the data in the database when you first update a row on the screen to ensure no one else can update it. It then buffers the changes in the client until you commit or post. Rather then send each and every field or byte as it is changed over the network to the database, it buffers the changes.

Instead of commiting the changes, you can also use the builtin POST routine to have forms send all of the buffered changes to the database but not commit. You could call this before you needed to read the changed data out of the database.

Thomas Kyte
tkyte_at_us.oracle.com
Oracle Service Industries
Reston, VA USA