Re: inconsistency between forms and sql*plus?

From: Steve Cosner <stevec_at_zimmer.csufresno.edu>
Date: 6 Mar 1999 20:48:47 GMT

In article <36e0955b.0_at_news.tm.net.my>, Brandon Lee <brand_at_tm.net.my> wrote:
>hi,
> i am wondering why when i issues DML command from the forms, my changes
>will not take effect unless followed by a commit statement. in sql*plus,
>the DML command takes effect immediately within the same user (not other
>user). can anyone explain why in forms this is so?

If you are talking about Forms automatic processing, with a base-table block and making changes on your screen, then nothing gets sent to the server until you Post (you have to write a command to do that), or issue a Commit.

But if you are actually writing your own SQL DML statements like Insert or Update inside a Forms procedure or trigger, then the data IS being updated on the server, the same as in SQL Plus.

But how are you trying to "see your changes" after such a command? If you do a Clear_Form, Forms issues a rollback, and you won't see any changes. If you query your table from SQL Plus, you won't see any changes, because your form has not committed anything. The only way you can "see your changes" is to issue another DML Select statement, or do an Execute_Query, WITHOUT doing a Clear_Form.

Steve Cosner

http://members.aol.com/stevec5088
Downloadable Quick Access utility form: Display and update any table. Received on Sat Mar 06 1999 - 21:48:47 CET

Original text of this message