Re: Entity question

From: Robert Siegel <robertsiegel_at_compuserve.com>
Date: Sat, 16 Jan 1999 14:11:42 -0500

Douglas Scott wrote:

> .......I'm avoiding using the term entity to describe the reference
> information
> because that is where the difference of opinion from my colleague is. I
> believe that you need to model this information as entities and my
> colleague believes otherwise. What is the normal method for modeling
> this type of information.

Scott, The classic textbook answer is if the reference data is stable don't promote it to a separate entity leave it as a code with allowable values and define an abbreviation &/or meaning for the code value. If it is not stable and will change over time promote it to it's own separate entity so new values can just be added to the reference table as needed. If this 'reference' code has other facts about it, such as an Active Flag, or date it active, date it is inactive then you have no other choice but to make it an entity with multiple attributes.

--
Hope this helps
Bob Siegel