Entity question

From: Douglas Scott <Douglas.S.Scott_at_USAHQ.unitedspacealliance.com>
Date: Wed, 13 Jan 1999 13:34:47 -0600

I'm involved in a Designer 2000 team that will be rewriting an Oracle database using Designer 2000 (reverse engineering is not possible since the database has been through many oracle upgrades and does not have use primary & foreign keys). I'm having a difference of opinion with another member of the team as to how to include reference information into the Designer 2000 repository. Our reference information can either be similar to the classic lookup were a code is used instead of a complete description or the reference information is used to validate other information dynamically (i.e. the values can change over time). [Quoted] I'm avoiding using the term entity to describe the reference information because that is where the difference of opinion from my colleague is. I believe that you need to model this information as entities and my colleague believes otherwise. What is the normal method for modeling this type of information. Assuming my point of view is correct does anyone know where I can find documentation to support this and if I'm wrong I would like to know how to model this information in Designer?

Thanks,
Douglas Scott
Douglas.S.Scott_at_usahq.unitedspacealliance.com Received on Wed Jan 13 1999 - 20:34:47 CET

Original text of this message