Re: Oracle sucks on NT, was Re: 8.5 OPINION

From: Boris <borisspamno_at_pleasemovil.com>
Date: 1998/12/11

>My general problem with Windows is it's DLL concept. M$ fan or no M$ fan,
>you must admit that the design screams out for crashes. Each program uses at
>least 5 of them ... Oracle is a "little"more complex and uses about 30 I
>think.
System DLLs are just stubs which copy parameters and jump to privileged mode. Besides system DLLs shared libraries used by an application are limited to C runtime library and MFC in many cases (not always, certainly). Application writers can choose to statically link their applications with C runtime library and MFC. I personally don't think that DLL versions present a problem. Huge amount of MS hot-fixes is more serious problem; each of them actually modifies NT kernel code. When you have a mix of different hot-fixes or service packs bad things can happen. And this situation could easily arise: install a hot-fix (or service pack), add or remove some NT features (this causes software from original NT cd-rom being re-loaded). At this point you are supposed to re-apply the hot-fix or service pack; if you forgot to do so there could be incompatibility conflict.

Boris Received on Fri Dec 11 1998 - 00:00:00 CET

Original text of this message