Re: Oracle sucks on NT, was Re: 8.5 OPINION

From: P. Larsen <plarsen_at_ballston.uscg.mil>
Date: 1998/12/10

Hi,
[Quoted] Memory leaks have been investigated several times, and the conclussion is that Oracle uses a deferred deallocation which confuses WinNT "experts" to think it leaks RAM.
[Quoted] [Quoted] My general problem with Windows is it's DLL concept. M$ fan or no M$ fan, you must admit that the design screams out for crashes. Each program uses at least 5 of them ... Oracle is a "little"more complex and uses about 30 I think.
[Quoted] Some of those are shared with M$ files which again are shared with other application - the purpose of DLL files of course. But the files exist in different versions. You install a new program after Oracle, and they might overwrite the DLL files which Forms builder was certified with, with versions that just doesn't work. And Oracle has no control over this. In my [Quoted] oppinion this concept is the cause of most crashes on Windows. And hence I have a problem with the guys who came up with the concept. They should have included some mechanisms to aviod this confussion and programmers should not abuse the DLL concept.

Eugene Fan wrote in message <366F7BF4.25515BB2_at_tidalwave.net>...
>IMNSHO, Oracle Forms & Reports are great for building "quick and dirty"
>database applications. To coworkers, I described Forms as a
>"knockoff of Visual Basic that's especially geared towards accessing
>databases", especially, surprise, Oracle's.
I've used Forms and Reports to make very large and corporate targed [Quoted] [Quoted] applications. I've never been able to use VB for that. Anyway, Forms can't be a ripoff of VB - after all Forms existed in the mid 80'ies (where I started using it).
[Quoted] It is NOT a programming language - I give you that. It's meant to shorten the time you need to develop a system from scratch. VB tries to do this by providing objects and wizards which I have no problem with by the way.

Oracle tools are - and I think that is logical - targeted against the Oracle Database. BUT - it is pretty easy to use Forms and Reports with other [Quoted] vendors databases. However, I wouldn't buy Oracle's tools without having their database first (at least when we talk about Oracle Developer - Designer and Oracle Objects is another matter).

[Quoted] I'm running Oracle Designer and Developer daily and they never trash the system. I have IE4.0 hang the system daily though - but again I suspect these intermixing DLL files to be the cause of that - I'm trying my best to identify the DLL's that might be the "guilty party".

>While NT deserves blame for not being robust enough to completely
>contain Oracle's memory hogging and leaking habits, that
>does not exonerate Oracle from committing those sins in the first.

Talk about memory hogging ... and OS that takes 32MB :) Nahh, this ain't "bash M$" so I'll refrain from further comments.

>G'night.

Sleep tight :)

  • Peter Larsen