Re: Designer2000 v.s. Developer2000

From: Jochen Van den Bossche <Jochen.Van-Den-Bossche_at_eurocontrol.be>
Date: Fri, 11 Dec 1998 08:53:58 +0000

shan168_at_my-dejanews.com wrote:

> We have a problem in deciding which tool (Designer/2000 or Developer/2000) we
> should use to develop Oracle forms. Any comments from experienced developers
> will be truly grateful.

Since I left school only a few months ago, I can hardly be called an experienced developper.
But here is my opinion / are my remarks.

  1. Though Oracle strives to 100% generation using Designer, this is not always possible/desired. Therefore you will need Developper (Forms Builder) as well, just to make the fine changes 'by hand'.
  2. Designer can do a lot more than just generating forms: Designing and creating complete databases, Reports, Function analysis, ...
  3. If all your forms are defined in the designer repository, it is easier to maintain standards with designer than with forms.
  4. The version of designer I use (2.1.1) does not fully support all capabilities of Forms 5.0 (Or I haven't found how to yet...)

Conclusion:
Buy Developper (you'll need it anyway) and consider wether using Designer has any advantages.
(I don't know if developper must be bought separatly if you buy designer => check with Oracle.) Received on Fri Dec 11 1998 - 09:53:58 CET

Original text of this message