PL/SQL character Array

From: Joe Condle <condle_at_med.pitt.edu>
Date: Wed, 02 Dec 1998 10:52:03 -0500
[Quoted] Message-ID: <36656223.76D7_at_med.pitt.edu>

[Quoted] [Quoted] How can I access individual postions in a string variable in PL/SQL? In C I would just declare a char string[10}. If I wanted to put the letter J in the third postion I would just do string[3] = "J". Is there a way to do this in PL/SQL? I have to build a Y/N string based on which values are fetched from the database. Example
[Quoted]  If ATTEND is fetched then a Y goes into the first postion if not N. If REFER is fetched then Y goes into the third position and so on. I end up witha string YNYYY. I would like to build a procedure that looks at the value checks in against the the 5 choices and return a Y or N and places it in the right position of my string.  Any suggestions?

-Joe Received on Wed Dec 02 1998 - 16:52:03 CET

Original text of this message