Re: Oracle API proprietary equivalent to ODBC?

From: Joel R. Kallman <jkallman_at_us.oracle.com>
Date: Wed, 02 Dec 1998 13:06:57 GMT

On Tue, 01 Dec 1998 16:30:50 -0500, "Brian F. Doherty" <briand_at_wtwitc.com> wrote:

>What is the best high-level API for developing a C++ application that
>only queries an Oracle database?
>We have used ODBC, but the performance and reliability are not
>sufficient.
>Oracle must have a proprietary equivalent to ODBC that is even better.
>What is it?

The Oracle Call Interface (OCI) is the Oracle API.

        http://www.oracle.com/st/o8collateral/html/xp2ktwp9.html

If you have written your application against the native ODBC API, you will find that in many respects, the OCI calls are similar.

If you have built your ODBC application using some higher-level API (like Microsoft ADO), Oracle Objects for OLE is the programmatic interface similar to this.

        http://www.oracle.com/st/products/oo4o/html/oo4ods.html

>-Brian Doherty
>mailto:briand_at_wtwitc.com

Thanks!

Joel

Joel R. Kallman Oracle Government, Education, & Health

Columbus, OH                             http://govt.us.oracle.com
jkallman_at_us.oracle.com                   http://www.oracle.com

The statements and opinions expressed here are my own and do not necessarily represent those of Oracle Corporation. Received on Wed Dec 02 1998 - 14:06:57 CET

Original text of this message