Re: Forms 5.0 (2.1) expert advise needed.......

From: Paul Dorsey <pdorsey.dulcian_at_worldnet.att.net>
Date: 19 Oct 1998 22:29:30 GMT

answers below

--
Paul Dorsey
Dulcian, Inc.
www.dulcian.com
212 595 7223
Richard Hollingsworth wrote in message
<4PcskJk#9GA.49_at_newstoo.hiwaay.net>...

>I need to ask some basic questions about useing D2K 2.1. I can't find any
of
>these answers in any book I've found about D2K. So I have to turn to other
D2K
>designers for help. If you have done any of these, please email me at
>richard_at_unirex.com.
>
>Thanx.
>
>1) Does D2K 2.1 support the so-called Windows Explorer's Tree View?
No, but you can fake it pretty well with a block and text indenting.

>2) Can you open up (instantuate) multiple copies of a form and do block
>move/copy between them?
Yes, but it would take some coding. I only do cut and paste between blocks on a form.

>3) Can you do what VB6 calles "Cascaded" updates, inserts, and deletes in
>situations where you are dealing with multiple related tables?
You can either turn it on for the database or you can code it. We code it.

>4) Is there a way to build a WYSIWYG user form (with say, Crystal Reports
6 or
>Oracle Reports), and have the user interact with that form to do queries,
>updates, inserts, and deletes?
I am not sure I understand the question. Please go into more depth.

>5) Can you automatically re-route a report to another printer should the
>primary printer fail or be offline?
Good question. No easy answer come to mind. Maybe from the form you could trap the error and execute a different run_product command.

>6) Can D2K incorporate 3rd party tools like tree-views, grids, and
datatables
>into an app the way VB6 does?
Yes, but don't do it. Many have gone down the road of VBXs or OCXs and most have crashed and burned or at least wasted much time. Few people use the functionality so it is not well burned in. I suggest using what forms can do and use forms to extend itself. Satisfy yourself with getting your forms to do 95% of what you want without add ons. paul