Re: Info needed deploying Developer 2.0 apps to web

From: Martin Bronstein <martin.bronstein_at_trw.com>
Date: Fri, 9 Oct 1998 09:17:32 -0700

Agnidude wrote in message <19981009073552.17233.00000285_at_ng70.aol.com>...

>Hi All
>
>I have been entrusted with the task of moving a client-server app to the
web
>and still maintaining a common codebase between the two types of arch. I
have
>been looking at Oracle tools as a possible solution. I would greatly
appreciate
>if any of you out there with similar experience answer a few questions
given
>below:
>
>1. I have a traditional client-server setup which accepts data does some
>validation and saves the data as a record in a Oracle database. Does
developer
>2.0 allow for easy deploying of such Forms to the web via the Forms
cartridge?
>How is the performance of these forms on a winNT?

I'm deploying a client-server app using both Dev/2k server 1.6.1 and web application server 3.0
on Solaris. My forms were originally developed on NT. All I had to do was re-compile
the .fmb and .pll files on Solaris and they deployed on the web. You do not have to use
a Forms cartridge, a static HTML page works as well.

>2. Are these forms converted to Java before they are moved to the web?(this
>aspect has been a confusing one to me) Does the cartridge handle this on
the
>fly.

The forms are executed via the runtime engine component of the forms server, which has to run on the same platform as the web server. These two components make up
the so-called application server, or middle tier of a three tier deployment. The executable code
is the same .fmx as in a two tier client-server deployment. The only difference is the forms runtime
engine re-directs the Forms GUI to a Java applet that runs on the client browser. This is the
only aspect of the process that involves Java.

>3. Do I need the Oracle app server 4.0 in addition to a web server(IIS).?

You need one or the other for forms deployment. As mentioned earlier, you do not have
to use a forms cartridge. If you are deploying Oracle Reports via the web, you can use either
a CGI method, or a Reports cartridge.

>4. We need capability to print certificates on official paper. Does
developer
>2.0 reports component provide control over printing on the internet other
than
>just
>the print option in the browser.

I haven't deployed my reports yet.