Re: MS Access v's Visual Basic v's Forms5

From: <rod.stewart_at_email.net.au>
Date: Thu, 08 Oct 1998 11:35:31 GMT

Sorry it has taken me a while to catch up with what you posted. I just needed to make a couple of points in regards to your assessment of the MS Access v's VB v's Forms5 question. I agree whole heartedly with your comments on Oracle Forms. Possibly the biggest issue any of my clients has had with Forms is as you have suggested, they are not exactly Windows compatible.

Regarding your assessment of VB though, there are some things to note. VB does NOT have to be connected via ODBC. In fact Oracle Objects For OLE (OO4OLE) is often the reccommended means of connection and is in fact utilised by Des2000 in the generation of VB code. The performance characteristics of OO4OLE based applications are on a par with Forms and Reports. When you take into consideration that Forms, Reports and VB can be generated quite successfully from Des2000 and that the remaining programming effort is roughly equivalent, it comes down to two things: the desires of the client and the availability/cost of the resources. In the region in which I work, Forms/Reports look and feel just doesn't cut it with the users and VB skills are cheaper and more easily acquired anyway. VB also has the advantage of connecting easily via COM/DCOM to the rest of the enterprise product universe (generally HR and Finance products like SAP or PeopleSoft) and the flexibility that you already mentioned.

Having said all that, If you were already in an Oracle apps environment with Financials etc, Forms/Reports would probably be the way to go because your users would already be acclimatized and skills most likely available.

Regards,

Rod J Stewart