Re: I need Oracle help. Lotsa questions here. Oracle autostart options? Oracle SQL Cron? Online export?

From: <sprymaster_at_my-dejanews.com>
Date: Tue, 22 Sep 1998 18:44:57 GMT

Have a look at the DBMS_JOB package included with the RDBMS. A better answer for job scheduling would be to use Jobs and Events in Oracle enterprise manager. The UI is graphic in nature and allows you to schedule jobs by time or a job can be triggered by an event.

What sort of jobs are you trying to run? Maybe there is a better method.

With regards to Exports, they can only be done when the database is up. It does not matter if someone is connected to the database. In fact exp itself is a database connection. If you are backing up the database (making copies of the Data, redo and control files, then the database must be either shutdown or the tablespace put in backup mode (alter tablespace tsname begin backup). This method is refered to as a hot backup, and requires that the database be in backupmode, and the O/S or backup software supports open files.