Re: Oracle Power Objects

From: Dan <dan5_at_home.com>
Date: Sun, 06 Sep 1998 12:34:04 GMT

You will have to rewrite your applications if you want to move them. It would be easiest to rewrite it in MS Visual Basic as it provides a superior development environment to any Oracle tool. The fact that Power Objects used its own form of BASIC would make this transition smooth and this would be the most painless solution. You may even be able to salvage some of your code. However, if you want to move it to something like Developer 2000, you will have to learn its development environment which is even less intuitive than Power Objects.

I've have developed applications in both Power Objects and Visual Basic and VB is far superior in terms of ease and versatitity. Power Objects is only a database tool whereas VB is a programming language. If you don't know Visual Basic, it should be a piece of cake for experienced users of OPO.

What a shame that Oracle discontinued it but obviously they couldn't compete with VB, Delphi, C++, etc.

Dan