Re: D2K vs. PowerBuilder questions....

From: <igal_at_healthstreet.com>
Date: Fri, 21 Aug 1998 14:35:53 GMT

In article <6rhpog$pjm2_at_svlss.lmms.lmco.com>,   RichardH_at_vorlon.hsg.lmsg.lmco.com (Richard Hollingsworth) wrote:
> Hello.
>
> We are starting a new project to build a nice front end to an Oracle 7.3
> database. We need to know wheather to use D2K or PowerBuilder. I can't go
> into much detail about the front end, but suffice it to say that it will be
> quite complicated.
>
> My main concern is wheather D2K is robust enough to handle some of our forms
> interface requirements.
>
> Products like Visula Basic 6 and PowerBuilder 6 are known for being robust in
> these areas.
>
> Does anyone have any info on any comparisons between D2K and PB that might
shed
> some light for us?
>
> Thanx much,
>
> Richard Hollingsworth
> DBA
> Lockheed Martin

Hello Richard, I've been working both with PowerBuilder and Developer/2000. It all depends on the scale, magnitude and complexity of your application. PowerBuilder is much more Object Oriented than Developer/2000 and the Datawindow object of PowerBuilder offers much more options for dynamic data display. So if you plan on a complicated application where OO design could be of use and you want to use a variety of visual objects, you should choose PowerBuilder. However, PowerBuilder requires a much longer learning period and it's PowerScript language is quite complex and versatile. So if the application is for basic display and manipulation of data or requires extensive backend functionality (where developer/2000 has advantage with Oracle DB) you might consider Developer/2000. Feel free to ask more questions. Good luck, Igal