Re: Oracle tools for Macintosh computers?

From: Jim Barnhart <barnhartj_at_earthlink.net>
Date: Thu, 06 Aug 1998 17:41:04 -0800

Charles Jardine wrote:

> I am familiar with Oracle but know nothing about Macs.
>
> 1. Is D2K available for Macs?
If by D2K you mean Developer 2000 and not Designer 2000, the answer is yes.

> 2. If so, what is the latest version?
I think 4.5, I know its one behind Windows Developer 2000.

> 3. Does it work?

Yes, it works just fine. However, my highly-paid Oracle consultants tell me there will be no more upgrades for the Mac. We are now experiencing a problem with the Macintosh operating system 8.1 on a Macintosh G3 with Reports. It gets a system error when trying to lock the file it caches to when creating a long report. It works fine when we backload to system 8.0. Porting between windows and macintosh is also possible. We found that much work was required to get the appearance of the application presentable again. Also, the Macintosh ported version is much smaller on screen than the Windows version was. These problems may just be due to our inexperience. But our consultant from Oracle couldn't help much either. They seem to be very thin on Macintosh experience.

> 4. If not, are at least ODBC and SQL*Net available?
Haven't tried ODBC, but Sql*Net is how we connect to a remote server over TCP/IP. Our application is statewide with one central database.

If you go forward with Oracle and Macintosh, please keep in touch.

jim Received on Fri Aug 07 1998 - 03:41:04 CEST

Original text of this message