Re: Alternative to LOVs on DEV2K

From: <dsloan_at_my-dejanews.com>
Date: Thu, 09 Jul 1998 22:25:12 GMT

  "Sudip Roy" <sudip.roy_at_pcm.bosch.de> wrote: ...
> long time an L.O.V. takes to open up if based on a large table.
> Is there any alternative say a block and some method to store LOV
> on the client side ?

Sudip- The main difference, from a performance perspective, between implementing an LOV and "coding your own" through a block is the ability to control Records Fetched and Records Buffered in the block. The LOV (or more accurately, the record group) will retrieve all of the records, whereas you can limit the number of records that come back initially in a block. A couple of thoughts: 1) The LONG LIST property of an LOV will cause a query criteria box to come up before the query for the LOV is executed. If your first column is selectively indexed, you're golden. If it's not, or if your users won't abide by this method, then this function is useless to you. 2) You will lose certain functionality if you go with the block method, specifically, the "instant reduction by typing" feature that an LOV has, and is nigh impossible to implement elsewhere in Forms. 3) Finally, if this a situation where the LOV is in critical condition ( i.e. extraordinary long LOV which must be called frequently from a number of different forms and cannot be pre-restricted ) you may want to implement a ungraceful solution which I recommend to one client who was in particularly dire straits. Namely, open up a form in the background which contains a block populated with the full set of data that you would have put in the record group. Navigate to this form ( preferably through a PLL ) to perform your pseudo-LOV operation and then pass the 'answer' back through globals. The OK and Cancel buttons there return you to the form, block and item from where you called the LOV. This is a *nasty* solution to implement, vis a vis record statuses, validation, trigger management and client memory, but it does allow you only execute the LOV query once and only once for the entire app. Hope some of these are helpful. Later, Dave