Oracle, NT, and 150 Users?

From: James L. Gehring <GehrinJ_at_BP.COM>
Date: 7 Jul 1998 16:42:27 GMT

I am sizing a box to run 150 users. These users will be processing transactions that will require them to query (and only query) the data at 2 to ten minute intervals throughout the day. The data that they are querying gets batch loaded into the system at night (Yep, downloaded from a mainframe!) so there is almost no insert/update processing on this "Data Mart" server from the user perspective.

Total data size is under 1 Gig (indexes and all). If I buy a dual processor Pentium with 1/2 a Gig of RAM and some good SCSI controllers, should this be sufficient if 100 of these users were to fire off a query at approximatley the same time? I would really be interested in hearing from someone who has a system like this or has experienced its performance first-hand.

We are planning on using Windows NT Server 4.0 and Oracle 8.0.3.

Please send your response via e-mail to:

GehrinJL_at_bp.com

Thanks in advance!

James L. Gehring
Compuware, Inc. Received on Tue Jul 07 1998 - 18:42:27 CEST

Original text of this message