Re: record_status, post-query, and when-validate-item.

From: DanHW <danhw_at_aol.com>
Date: 2 Jul 1998 01:09:09 GMT

>Hi.
>
>I have a block in a form based on a view.
>
>I have a non-base table item, with a when-validate-item trigger.
>
>The WVI trigger checks the record_status. If set to Query, it sets it
>to Changed. This allows me to mark the record changed when the user
>changes this item. Duh.
>
>My problem is that the WVI trigger fires during the execution of the
>query (after the user presses F8).
>
>I used to have this exact problem on another form, but during some
>other changes, it went away. I've compared the two forms, and I
>can't make the 2nd one work.
>
>Help! What combination of form, block, item, and trigger properties
>do I need to make WVI not fire during EXECUTE_QUERY?
>
>thx,
>
>rick

Rick, I don't think you need the when-item-validate to set the status. If the item is set to updatable, when the value is changed, regardless of if it is a base table item or not, the record is marked as 'changed'.

The second answer to your question - You can't prevent a trigger from firing then - all you can do is skip over your login under certain conditions. To do this, you would have to do some fancy logic to set a parameter (or global) while retrieving rows so the trigger does not do anything then, but does fire when you are actually editing. This has to work properly when the next set is fetched. This would be pretty tricky.

Hope this helps

Dan Hekimian-Williams Received on Thu Jul 02 1998 - 03:09:09 CEST

Original text of this message