Re: forms problem

From: Todd Owers <ToddO_at_gcr1.com>
Date: 26 May 1998 13:48:19 GMT

The essence of FRM-40654 is that the values in the form do not match the values in the database, so Forms thinks another user has updated the database. However, there are a number of scenarios that can cause FRM-40654 on a single-user system.

  1. Do you have a commit-time (Pre-Insert, Pre-Update, Pre-Delete, or Post-Insert) trigger in Block 2 that changes the value of an item in Block 1? If so, when you go back to Block 1, its values do not match what is in the database, so FRM-40654 is raised.
  2. Truncation. If the format of an item in the form and a column in the database are slightly different (e.g., length of a NUMBER field), then the form will allow a user to enter a value that will be truncated when it is stored in the database, and the values will not match. Similarly, if the database column is a CHAR datatype, it will be blank-padded to its maximum length, which may not match what is in the form.
  3. Database triggers, which fire after an insert, update, or delete to the table, can cause the values in the database to differ from the values in the form.

This should get you started. If you need more specific help, let me know.

Todd Owers

Martin Meadows <mmeadows_at_indy.net> wrote in article <356A2F7B.30F7_at_indy.net>...