Re: Apps in OWS via Netscape and Sun plugin

From: Kirt Thomas <kirtt_at_sky.net>
Date: Tue, 26 May 1998 06:39:32 -0500

>> I'm trying to set up users with Netscape 4.05 using the Sun Java plugin -
>> I've got the applet tag embedded but I've run into two problems.
>>
>> 1 - the apps are no longer certified (using the applet viewer I could run
>> the appscert.bat program to invoke javakey, and certify the applet) Now I
>> get the ugly yellow bar at the bottom saying 'Applet Window' or something
>> like that. Has anyone gotten past this?
>
>in <root>\orant\forms45\doc\readme.txt is written how to certify your clients.
>easy game!

Easy for you to say <G> - I take it you mean the relnotes.txt - my installation has no readme.txt - anyway, I know about the javakey, and how to invoke and cert clients, and as mentioned, everything was fine until I started testing the Sun java plaugin - (I could use the appletviewer or Netscape's 4.04 w/the 1.1 update) and there was no prolbem. I'm running Oracle Applications (and custom forms via the aol) - so I certify 'OracleApplications' - I'm just not real sure why it's not working agains the plugin.

>> 2 - the apps are requiring admin level access to run - (I'm using an NT4
>> server) - when Netscape spawns the plugin, I'm required to login to the NT
>> before the java runs, and as not just any user, but as the administrator,
>> less than optimal ;)
>
>eh ? don't get this one..

From what I can see the NT is refusing execution priv's - and requiring an administator login to grant - the sequence goes - Start Netscape, hit the web-apps URL - after the java plugin has started loading a dialog box comes up asking for a login - if I login as any other user but the admin, it fails, the admin login works, but the applet dies, firing the url again causes no login to appear, and the java loads and I get the applications login screen. My question is what is specific to the plugin that only the use of the plugin causes this. Or is it potentially the way I've written the < EMBED tag ?

NoWonderNoWonderNoWonderNoWonderNoWonderNoWonderNoWonder

   o        "1`2`1 Technical Support 4 Free via
   n          24 hour Email and Message boards
   d             http://www.nowonder.com
   e   kirtt_at_nowonder.com       evangelist_at_nowonder.com
   r               kirtt_at_macsrule.com