Re: Installing Dev2K on UNIX

From: Chris Hamilton <toneczar_at_erols.com>
Date: Tue, 19 May 1998 12:01:39 GMT

millerf_at_merck.com wrote:

>We have installed 1.4w of Developer/2000 on HP9000.
>
>Per Oracle, we have done a "client install" wherein you provide the
>installer with a different location for ORACLE_HOME than that for the
>rdbms product.
>
>ORACLE_HOME=/.../oracle/product/1.4w
>
>rather than
>
>ORACLE_HOME=/.../oracle/product/7.3.4
>
>This is causing problems in production because the executables are in
>two different homes. Has anyone had any experience with this situation?

Yes. You need to have some shell scripts you can "source" with the shell to set your environment up to point to the appropriate set of executables and libraries. For instance, for database maintenance, set your environment up to point to the 7.3.4 home, and for development and application execution, point to the 1.4w home.

The key things to change are:

ORACLE_HOME
ORACLE_SID
TWO_TASK
PATH
LD_LIBRARY_PATH For instance, you could have scripts called "oracle.734" and "oracle.d2k", and set up simple command aliases to "source" them to apply their environment changes to your current shell. You could call the aliases "o734" and "d2k", for instance. Then switching between environments is as simple as typing that alias at the command prompt. I also have a script called "oracle.env" (aliased to "oenv") which displays the current environment so you can be sure which environment you're in at any given time.

The ORACLE_SID and TWO_TASK variables are important as well. When using Developer/2000, unset the SID and set TWO_TASK to the TNS alias for the database. And make sure your PATH is reset with the D2K binaries in the front of your path.

Chris

Chris Hamilton, DBA
US Army Corps of Engineers
christopher.h.hamilton_at_usace.army.mil http://www.serve.com/cowpb/chamilton.html  Received on Tue May 19 1998 - 14:01:39 CEST