Re: stop record navigation with forms 4.5-5?

From: <stevec_at_zimmer.csufresno.edu>
Date: 1998/03/31

In article <35205BBD.83C10C4E_at_ix.netcom.com>,   Patrick Sloan <patsloan_at_ix.netcom.com> wrote:

> Anyone out there know how to conditionally stop
> navigation to a new record?
>
> I have a form where I need to stop navigation from
> one record to another in the same block, when a certain
> control value is set.

This sounds a lot like a validation task. If you check the control value in a when-validate-record trigger, and if set, raise Form-Trigger-Failure, the user will not be able to leave the current record. But then you will need to un-set the control value before the user can commit.

If you don't like the above method, you can use a when-new-record-instance trigger to check the control value, and if set, go back to the original record. Like your control value, you will need to store the number of the record to go back to.

HTH,
Steve Cosner

http://members.aol.com/stevec5088
Downloadable Quick Access utility form: Display and update any table.