Re: Using Personal Oracle 8 and Dev 2K 2.0

From: Frances Edelstein <fran_at_rbsbooks.com>
Date: 1998/03/26

In article <351190ca.18789782_at_news.wwa.com>, swpatter_at_wwa.com says...
> Can anyone help using Personal Oracle 8.0.3 and Developer 2000k 2.0?
>
> I can not get these two products to work together. I can install them
> ok but cant make a connection to the database. I have called Oracle
> Support to no avail and the issue is still unresolved. My only
> solution would be to go back to PO 7.3 which I know for a fact will
> work against Dev 2k ver 2.0.
>
> Any help or suggestions would be greatly appreciated.
>
> Jon Croke
> joncroke_at_compuserve.com

We received the following instructions from Oracle - they're offering free installation help for trial products on their website. However, I haven't been able to get this to work. I'm trying to get Dev2k to connect to PO8 on a Windows95 machine that doesn't have a physical network adaptor. Has anyone been able to do that?

Fran Edelstein
fran_at_rbsbooks.com

The Oracle message:

This particular support group put some
extra
time into this issue and came up with the following workaround...To set up a
connection from Developer/200 2.0 to an Oracle8 database you must follow the
setup steps below:

  1. Install Personal Oracle8
  2. Install Developer/2000 version 2.0
  3. Re-install SQL*Net 2.3.3.01
  4. Run the Oracle Installer included with the Personal Oracle8 Installation.
  5. REMOVE SQL*Net 2.3.4.0.0 and the SQL*Net Adaptors 2.3.4.0.
  6. Install the Oracle Installer, SQL*Net 2.3.3.01 and the SQL*Net TCP/IP Adaptor 2.3.3.0.

 Please Note: You will need to make sure you have the TCP/IP protocol adaptor
installed for your Operating system before continuing.

4. Configure a SQL*Net ALIAS for your Oracle8 database

  1. START -> PROGRAMS -> ORACLE FOR WINDOWS95 -> SQL*Net EASY Configuration.
  2. ADD a database ALIAS.
  3. Name the Database ALIAS anything you would like.
  4. Select TCP/IP as your protocol Adaptor.
  5. Enter your PC name or IP address for the TCP/IP Host name.
  6. The database Instance will be the same as the database SID, which is ORCL if you are using the default database installed with Personal Oracle8.
  7. Set up the listener to startup automatically when starting the database.
  8. START -> RUN -> enter "oraconct on" -> OK
  9. Start up the database
  10. START -> PROGRAMS -> Personal Oracle8 for NT/95 -> Start Database
  11. Start up Developer
  12. START -> PROGRAMS -> Developer 2000 r2.0 -> Forms Builder
  13. Connecting to the database from Forms Builder
  14. FILE -> CONNECT
  15. username -> system
  16. password -> manager
  17. Connect String -> (enter in the database ALIAS name that you created in step 4c)

Trial Installation Product Support is provided to you by:

                Oracle Worldwide Customer Support