[For forms GURU] Forms Crashing after schema change

From: <tim_at_van.oz.au>
Date: 1998/03/02

Hi Forms developers,

I have a problem (aren't we all are?) that giving me heachache since using D2K for over 2 years.

Here is the problem:

I have many forms that is not base on any tables. They all attached to the a PLL library file. This PLL is the interface beween the forms and the server database. It actually call the PL/SQL stored procs in the server to perform query, update , insert etc.. All going very well except when there are some changes in the database design. Something like the structure of the tables change, rename a column name, alter a column size etc , the usual stuff in development cycle. All the stored-procs are of course update as well to reflect the changes but the interface (package specs) are not change so there is no need to modify forms or the PLL file.

Now if I rerun those forms on the update database, chances are that 9 out 10 I'll get a GPF. Run the forms on the database with nochange at all is OK. The only way is to recompile the PLL library, then recompile (with the option compile_all) the FMB files then generate FMX. Then the problem will go away (ie. No GPF).

Server : SCO OSD 5
DB version 7.3
Client: Windows 95
Forms designer version 4.5.7.11