Re: LOVs & DROP DOWN Lists inf FORMS 4.5

From: Sarah Sikes <sikes_at_erols.com>
Date: 1998/02/13

Ed Jennings <jenningse_at_mindspring.com> wrote:

>I have an item on a canvas that I want to use as a drop-down list.
>But I don't want the values hard coded in the form. I want an LOV
>that queries a table at run-time to populate the list. The problem is
>that I can only get a true drop-down list if I hard-code the values.
>If I try to use an LOV, I have to then put a button next to the item
>with a WJEN-BUTTON-PRESSED trigger. But this brings up a whole new
>window to display the list. I don't want that. I just want the
>vanilla pull-down list, dynamically built. Can this be done? Or
>am I asking too much of FORMS?

If I understand your question, you want to be able to dynamically (programmitically add values to the list?

Create a list item but leave don't populate the values. Check the list elements values to ensure the list is empty. Form should compile and run. They field should show up as a drop-list with allowing for NULL. After that set up a trigger to populate that list at run time. Check out the following built-ins:

ADD_LIST_ELEMENT
DELETE_LIST_ELEMENT
POPULATE_LIST Received on Fri Feb 13 1998 - 00:00:00 CET

Original text of this message