Forms 4.5 - populating fields with data from an external text file?

From: Jason Nugent <ap958_at_chebucto.ns.ca>
Date: 1998/01/29

 Hi all,

[Quoted]     Forgive me if this question has been asked before, but I have search dejanews and so on but haven't found the answer. Can Forms 4.5 read data from a text file (delimited or otherwise) to populate its fields? We would like to allow users to store partially completed records on the local file system (and also completed ones, for export reasons), and then let them "Retrieve from File..." later on and simply open the text file and have Forms 4.5 populate its fields by reading data from it. I know that SQL*Loader will allow reads from delimited files into tables, but what about Forms? This question is a stumbling block in our development process. If we have to, I suppose we could store the data in a temporary table (instead of a the "official" one, which will be Trusted Oracle on Trusted HP/UX), but the file export/read option was requested by the client.

                    Thanks to all,

                        Jason Nugent

--
[Quoted] Jason Nugent, BSc(Hons), CWM