Re: Procs too large for PB

From: Peter Schneider <peter.schneider_at_okay.net>
Date: 1998/01/28

On Mon, 26 Jan 1998 23:21:53 -0600, ObrieS_at_treas.gov.ab.ca wrote:

>Upon adding more code to an existing procedure
>(a stored program unit, in the database, using procedure builder)
>standard in(put) just stops. If I delete a char, then I can
>type a char. I've played around with it and I'm 99% sure that
>this particular program unit has reached it's max size (~32K).
>It's peculiar, no error msg is displayed.
>
>I suspect there is a setting that can be changed in order to allow a
>larger program unit.
>
>Any administrators with any suggestions???

Just a developer with a suggestion :-)

>OS info:
> NT Server, Win95 Client.
>Oracle info:
> Oracle Procedure Builder V1.5.5.7.0
> Oracle7 Server Release 7.3.2.1.0

AFAIK, this is a Procedure Builder limitation (which still does not seem to be fixed in the most recent release of PB in Des2K 2.0).

When I first hit that limit, I decided to get a decent text editor and compile everything through SQL*Plus, which has worked fine for me even with packages of 150-160K source code size.

BTW, if you create PL/SQL programs of this size in this way, and then in turn try to open it with Procedure Builder, you will notice PB can't even open it any more. It will raise a very informative error message like 'PDE-PER001 internal error (deucx 9 1)', obviously :-) meaning 'program too large'. Just try to open the body of DBMS_REPCAT, and you'll see it.

HTH
Peter

--
Peter Schneider