Re: Data Modelling Tools?

From: Bert Scalzo <bscalz01_at_7-11.com>
Date: 1998/01/14

You mentioned

>Erwin?
>ER/1?
>EasyCASE?
>ERStudio?
>Designer/2000?

I have used each (even worked for Oracle Des 2000 group). I recommend tools based upon job function as follows:

If you are a

  1. data modeller and your deliverables are primarily code and first-cut DDL for your DBA, then PowerDesigner 6.1 is best
  2. dba who must manage mutilple databases being consistent (i.e. development = test = production), then ERwin 3.0 is best
  3. not sure or both, go with PowerDesigner 6.1

I left off Designer 200 for two reasons. Its big and has a huge learning curve. The other tools you mention are either limited in comparison or not production qaulity software.

Call me at 972-604-9274 if you have questions ...

Bert Scalzo
EDS Received on Wed Jan 14 1998 - 00:00:00 CET

Original text of this message