Storing Text WITH the Carriage returns

From: Noodles <noodles_at_aol.com>
Date: 1997/12/20

Environment: OpenVMS 6.1; Oracle 7.1

I'm working on a client-server front-end and I would like to store the contents of an ASCII file in Oracle. The front-end application can only have a buffer in memory up to 32k. I thought I'd do a record lookup in Oracle, pull this ASCII file out of Oracle and then transfer it to the PC. Then just read the local file with the application.

 I'm not sure how to store this ASCII file in Oracle seeing as varchar2 has a limit of 2000 bytes and my file sizes are about 12k - 400k. I've tried loading the data into a long text data type, but SQLLoader will not load the Carriage Returns which are crucial to the file format being recognized. I just keep getting one big long stream of data. I've thought of using mutiple varchar2 columns, but a table with a primary key column and up to 200 varchar2(2000) columns seems a little silly.

If I could get the carriage returns in the long field I think my problem would be solved. OR Are there any other methods that I'm missing ?

TIA,
Cliff
(noodles_at_aol.com)
(clifford_buetikofer_at_merck.com)