Re: Web Forms with D2k 1.5

From: Michael Friedman <mfriedma_at_asiansources.com>
Date: 1997/12/04

This is a cryptographically signed message in MIME format.

--------------msEA32F9E1C3DFF1F6B758445A Content-Type: multipart/mixed; boundary="------------0060AF07B83A323159898565"

Dave Flynn wrote:

> We are attempting the same thing with similar results. Not only does each
> user use 15MB or so of memory, but if the user terminates the application
> by closing their web browser (we have had most luck with IE4.0 surprisingly
> enough), they leave a "dead" session on our NT machine. And, if you want
> to deploy any reports on the web (.pdf or html format), you need a browser.
> We have had, although not as many, inactive NT sessions with the
> Appletviewer as well.

OK. Let's get one thing clear...

Neither IE 4.0 or NS 4.0.4 is certified with Web Forms. Moreover, based on our testing, anyone who tries to use them is looking at a world of trouble. Use the applet viewer.

> OWS 3.0 handles cleanup on NT better than 2.1, but 3.0 is not certified to
> work with Forms (whatever that means). We are purchasing a web server with
> a large amount of physical memory, but I am worried that the inactive
> sessions may not release all of the memory that they take up when closed
> manually.

I keep hearing this claim.

It is incorrect.

We have it from the horse's mouth (Dev2K development) that 3.0 is supported.

I also strongly urge you to move to Dev2K 1.6. Even the prerelease version is a major step forward in quality, functionality, and performance. Also, the 1.6 applet viewer can launch a web browser to view a report. Oracle is being very open with the Dev2K 1.6 beta program.

Mike

Building the future of business to business electronic commerce...

ASM eTrade - Software from the Asian Sources Media Group

24/F Vita Tower, Block B                  Tel: +852 2814 5678
29 Wong Chuk Hang Road                 Direct: +852 2814 5671
Aberdeen, Hong Kong                       Fax: +852 2311 3893

--------------0060AF07B83A323159898565

begin:          vcard
fn:             Michael Friedman
n:              Friedman;Michael
org:            Asian Sources Media Group (eTrade)
email;internet: mfriedma_at_asiansources.com
x-mozilla-cpt:  ;0
x-mozilla-html: FALSE
version:        2.1
end:            vcard

--------------0060AF07B83A323159898565--

--------------msEA32F9E1C3DFF1F6B758445A

<encoded_portion_removed>
6K5+w4kkIjwATLKDyq/qA9sRAgQNDczw89nzWuKDdFxtGg==
--------------msEA32F9E1C3DFF1F6B758445A--