Re: Designer/Developer

From: Patrick Ryan <pat_at_halcyon.com>
Date: 1997/11/12

  1. Haven't had to do it myself, but several people I know have done so and didn't complain about it. It looks like a pretty simple task in the manual. Its *very* useful, since you can do diagrams, etc. If the current database as RI, PK and FKs etc. then it should go well, otherwise I'd do it by hand.
  2. We've generated about 40 forms, with generation percentages ranging from 80% to 100%. The product works well with Forms, not so well with reports and is not useful for PL/SQL.
  3. We have a form that invokes Word, runs a word macro and saves it. I'm not sure if that was what you were looking for?
  4. This is a fairly complex question. Make sure you read up on the manual. Generally, do modules whenever you are doing a new logical unit of work.

-Pat Ryan
 LIAS Senior Programmer/Analyst
 My views do not necessarily represent those of my company; nor indeed of  any other sentient being.

 Sheila Watford (swatford_at_oao.com) wrote:
: Hi Everyone,
:
: I have some pretty open ended questions about Oracle's tools. I am
: looking for your opinion and/or any tips you may have on the following
: topics:
:
: 1. Designer/2000 - How easy and useful is the reverse engineering
: feature? We currently have a prototype that functions against an
: interium database that needs significant modifications for the
: production database. Would it be worth while to start by reverse
: engineering the prototype and then making the necessary data model
: changes or would it be easier to start from scratch? (Note: the
: prototype was not developed using the Designer.)
:
: 2. Designer/2000 - How much success have you had using the Forms
: Generator?
:
: 3. Developer/2000 - How much success have you had embedding OLE2
: objects, in particular EXCEL, in a form?
:
: 4. Developer/2000 - Are there any guidelines for building an
: application, such as when to create a new form for a particular module
: vs creating more and more canvases/windows. Basically, how is an
: efficient application layed out in Developer/2000?
:
: Thanks for your comments!