Re: Reverse Engineer

From: Dan Clamage <clamage_at_mime.dw.lucent.com>
Date: 1997/10/30

> I am trying to reverse engineer a database, but I cannot get the
> 'Reverse Engineer Database' menu item in utilities menu of RON
> to even show up. Does anyone know which parameter is missing
Hi Ken!
Benn there. Before you can r-e a database, you have to proscribe a database to r-e into. In RON you will see the tree heirarchy which shows Entities (none yet), Tables (none yet), Databases-Oracle (none yet) and Tablespaces (none yet).
Go to Databases branch and define a database -- the one you'll be generating into. It can be the same database as you already have, or a different one. Define tablespace(s) for it. The tablespaces should be different from the one you're r-e'ing. Then you can run Reverse Engineer. RE will populate the Tables branch.
Then run Table to Entity Retrofit to generate Entities. Then you can plop these entities onto an ER diagram.
I did this for a schema with no relational integrity constraints. I wasn't sure how to define them in ER Diagrammer, so I went back into SQL*Plus and defined some primary key, foreign key, unique key and check constraints (giving the constraints meaningful names). Then I had to delete the Entities I already generated and rerun Retrofit. When I plopped everything onto a diagram, voila! I could see how to define relationships. One bug, though -- some of my primary keys were missing from the entities on the diagrams! I verified this in RON, and added them back in there. -djc Received on Thu Oct 30 1997 - 00:00:00 CET

Original text of this message