Re: Newbie question

From: <twod_at_not.valid>
Date: 1997/10/14

olliecat (olliecat_at_bellatlantic.net) wrote:
: I recently got Oracle installed on my Sparc and can't wait to get into
: it. The only problem is I have no experience and no real good
: references to draw upon. I still don't have a good method of getting it
: started once I init my machine other than calling our extremely busy
: DBA.
The usual way is to add some S* and K* files to the rc*.d directories to start and stop the database as the machine starts/stops. These steps are detailed as the post-install steps in the installation manual.

If you have root access, then it's easy enough to start and stop the datbase at any time using 'su - oracle -c dbshut/dbstart'. The dbshut and dbstart scripts use the /var/opt/oracle/oratab file, which is another post-install step, so make sure that you have done the post-install steps.

Get your DBA to give your solution the once over to make sure that everything looks kosher.

: Could someone please send me a small C program, like an Oracle version
: of hello world, that I can use to get an idea of how the API's work ?

The Pro*C product comes with a set of demo programs that are stored under ORACLE_HOME somewhere (precomp/proc/demo|sample rings a bell, but it should be fairly easy to find them).

: Also, if anybody could recommend some good books addressing Oracle
: admistration, and software development I would certainly appreciate it.

I like a couple of the Oracle Press books - DBA Handbook and the Backup and Recovery Handbook. Should be available from all good bookstores (tm) or from www.amazon.com.

IAP

--
In an attempt to reduce junk email I use an invalid 'From' address.
My correct email address can be determined by replacing 'not.valid' with