Re: Designer 2000, use of foreign keys

From: Paul Dorsey <pdorsey.dulcian_at_worldnet.att.net>
Date: 1997/10/06

Dan:

I hope you don't take this wrong but
[Quoted] please be careful with your terms. "Dependant" entities are not represented through simple FK relationships. The logical dependant relationship is represented in ERDs with the following symbol:

The vertical bar is frequently called a "UID bar" because of the way Des2K implements dependant relationships.

I don't mean to go crazy on terminology but the posting was from a beginner and it is important to not give them inaccurate terms.

Paul Dorsey
Dulcian, Inc.