Re: Designer 2000, use of foreign keys

From: <Dan>
Date: 1997/10/07

In article <619gc8$g83_at_bgtnsc03.worldnet.att.net>, "Paul says...

>Dan:
>
>I hope you don't take this wrong but
>please be careful with your terms. "Dependant" entities are
>not represented through simple FK relationships. The logical
>dependant relationship is represented in ERDs with the following
>symbol:

>The vertical bar is frequently called a "UID bar" because of the way
>Des2K implements dependant relationships.

You are right that I was inaccurate with my statement, but upon further reflection, wouldn't the fact that the "from" side of the relationship is mandatory, wouldn't that make the "from" side entity dependant on the "to" side entity? I thought the UID bar simply states that the UID(s) of the "to" entity are part of the UID of the "from" entity. Pleae correct me if I'm wrong, and point me in the direction of some reading so that I can bone up on this stuff. Most of what I know I learned at the "Oracle School of Hard Knocks". ;)

Dan Peacock, CNA
Systems Engineer
Great Lakes Hybrids, Inc. Received on Tue Oct 07 1997 - 00:00:00 CEST

Original text of this message