Re: logfile questions

From: Gary England <gengland_at_hiwaay.net>
Date: 1997/09/25

L. Tseng wrote:

> Hi, Oracle experts,
>
> Help with the following questions will be very appreciated.
>
> 1. What's the criteria when decieding how big/many logfile should be?
> 2. Having one big logfile (for example, 100MB) or having 4 logfiles
> with 25MB each; which one is recommended?
> 3. What's the difference between logfile and rollback segment?
>
> Thank you in advance.
>
> Leslie
> ~

The response from Paul Baumgartel is a duplicate of my opinion. All I would like to add is that the size of the logfile depends upon your database activity, frequency and size of updates. Until the logfile is filled and rolled out, there is a danger of data loss.

The smaller the logfile, the less data exposed to in the event of media failure. Typically, the logfile is archived on a different drive than the DB.

The larger the logfile, the better the performance. There is less switchover and archive activity. A logfile size large enough to handle the largest rollback segment would give the best performance.

How much data are you willing to risk to improve performance? Received on Thu Sep 25 1997 - 00:00:00 CEST

Original text of this message