Handling user defined database error messages

From: <gardine_at_ttemi.com>
Date: 1997/09/22

I am developing an application using Forms 4.5 and Oracle 7.3 database. There are many table triggers required in the database for data validation, which raise user defined error messages using raise-application-error.

[Quoted] I am wondering what is the best way to handle these messages in Forms. I do not want to hard-code all the error message texts in ON_ERROR triggers according to error number. I am thinking of creating a user-messages table in the database, and when ON_ERROR traps a user defined message, it selects the error text from the database using the error number and displays it.

Any thoughts on the best ways of doing this?

Thanks

Eoin Gardiner