Re: Oracle Tools Vs. VB as Front-Ends to Oracle Databases

From: Bruce Tobin <btobin_at_infinet.com>
Date: 1997/09/02

GHarris144 wrote:
> [Quoted]
> We are currently using Designer/2000 using a process-led development approach. Due to the complexity of our process, we have come to the conclusion that the ‘100% Pure Designer/2000’ approach will not suffice. We are evaluating two alternatives: Developer/2000 and Visual Basic. The Visual Basic solution seems like a good approach for several reasons:
> - Designer/2000 generates VB code.
> - VB should have a much quicker learning curve than either
> Designer/2000 or Developer/2000.
[Quoted] > - VB will allow us to create a more robust GUI using OCXs.

 I don't think 'robust' is the right word here. The VB patchwork approach to development, using OCX controls supplied by multiple vendors, can let you build a fancy interface fairly quickly, but the result is very far from robust. Try a quick scan of the VB newsgroups using the keywords 'apex', 'sheridan', or 'truegrid'.

> We have several questions:
> - For people who have used VB to front-end an Oracle
> database, what is your general impression of this approach?
> - Is there a performance hit using VB?

  Depends on how you do it.

> - What is the stability of ODBC using VB?

  Reasonable. ODBC isn't generally the problem.

> Any opinions, ideas, answers, or insight would be greatly appreciated.

 Use Delphi. The last Client/Server VB project I worked on (for Banc One, though I don't speak for them) I was able to duplicate six weeks worth of VB development in a single weekend using Delphi. The resulting app had exactly the same functionality, ran much faster, and had a third as much code. Received on Tue Sep 02 1997 - 00:00:00 CEST

Original text of this message