Re: Search on LONG datatype

From: <msuencks_at_techfak.uni-bielefeld.de>
Date: 1997/08/19

In article <33F20AD5.469B_at_techiesinc.com>,   Leslie_B_DreyerKalra <lbd_at_techiesinc.com> wrote:

> Okay, another (hopefully not too) stupid question about
> the LONG datatype:
>
> I need to search on various columns in a table, including one LONG
> column. I'm not allowed to use a LONG column in a WHERE clause
 according
> to the Feuerstein book, do how the heck am I supposed to get at this
> stuff? Do I have to pull it out chunk by chunk and examine it??
>
> Will the ConText option do anything for me here?

Although I am quite new to Oracle I use ConText for that kind of thing.

Using ConText you need to perform some steps before you can actually search the LONG columns, but ConText hsa some nice features, i.e. you get
result tables with a "score".

You should read the "ConText Quickstart" PDF (well it is there in version 7,
perhaps it's still in version 8 ;-) to figure out if it suits your needs.

Matthias Suencksen