Re: Calls between Oracle & Operating System

From: Peter H. Larsen <plen_at_novo.dk>
Date: 1997/08/06

Hi,
What do you mean "from inside Oracle"? The only means of Oracle7 (i have not tried Oracle8) is using a host language. You cannot call outside the kernel from PL/SQL (stored procedures).

But in a way it is "kinda" possible, using a server/host PRO*C (for instance) program that logs onto the database, and listens to a pipe for commands. The commands will instruct it to do the OS specific calls and it will return the result on a specific/private pipe. The kernel will the be able to have procedures that calls this pipe and waits on another pipe for answer. But as you see, it still requires a PRO*C (or another host-langauge) program to do the actual host-call.

  • Peter H. Larsen