Re: Forms 4.5 'Delete' triggers

From: Andrew Tompkins <andrewto_at_kingfish.cse.tek.com>
Date: 1997/07/31

In article <5rnt36$ptq_at_news-1.boco.co.gov> tlberukoff@ writes:

> From: tlberukoff_at_
> Newsgroups: comp.databases.oracle.tools
> Date: 30 Jul 1997 17:19:34 GMT
>
> Can someone explain the difference between the pre-delete/on-delete
> transactional triggers and the when-remove-record block trigger? Where would
> it be appropriate to use each? I guess I am not clear on the difference between
> block and transactional triggers. Any help would be appreciated.
>
> Thanks, Tracey

The PRE-DELETE, ON-DELETE and POST-DELETE triggers are fired during the 'Post and Commit Transaction' process for each record marked as a delete. The 'Post and Commit Transaction' process is activated by the built-in functions COMMIT_FORM and POST or the 'COMMIT' DML statement. The PRE-DELETE trigger is fired just prior to a record deletion is commited to the database. The ON-DELETE trigger replaces the default processing for commiting a delete. The POST-DELETE trigger fires after the delete is commited to the database.

The WHEN-REMOVE-RECORD should not be read as WHEN-DELETE-RECORD. It is fired as a result of a record being removed from the Forms internal storage space for the block through either the DELETE_RECORD or CLEAR_RECORD processes. CLEAR_RECORD does not delete the record from the database in the next commit. It merely removes the record from the Forms internal space and makes the record unviewable via NEXT_RECORD or PREVIOUS_RECORD until the next query is submitted.

--Andy
| Andrew G. Tompkins    | #include <disclaimer.std.h> |
| Tektronix, Inc.                                     |
| Phone: (503) 627-5172      fax: (503) 627-5548      |
| email: Andrew.Tompkins_at_tek.com (work)               |
|        andytom_at_teleport.com (home)                  |
| http://www.teleport.com/~andytom/                   |