Re: data modeling and db monitoring

From: Martin J. Malley <mmalley_at_radiks.net>
Date: 1997/07/30

> Can anyone suggest product(s) for data modeling and database monitoring
> of an all unix oracle environment with good entity-relationship design
> features?
>
> An ideal product would analyze operating loads, report on database
> activity,supply statistics for decision support on how our applications
> affect the database and where the bottlenecks are.
> mari_at_gso.saic.com

For data modeling, I have been very happy with ERwin/ERX from Logicworks. It generates Oracle DDL nicely and maintains synchronization between the model and database. It also does a good job of reverse engineering.

For monitoring of an individual instance's performance profile ADHAWK monitor from Quest or the Oracle Enterprise Manager Performance pack from Oracle are both good. For managing performance of large numbers of instances (my organization is running over 100 instances) we have found a need to build some custom tools.

For SQL tuning, Quest's SQLLAB is quite good. Received on Wed Jul 30 1997 - 00:00:00 CEST

Original text of this message