Re: My woes continue, Bad DBAs

From: Marc Mathieu <marc_at_myself.com>
Date: 1997/07/21

  This may be a foot in mouth situation here, not being on site and having a full picture. I am just a DBA and I make my mistakes (my developpers have been very nice about them). It's a matter of working together through the problem and not becoming the problem by pointing fingers.

  That DBA must not like these guys very well and there may be an interpersonal communication issue that will increase the simple issues into huges problems.

  Personal Oracle will typically not corrupt a main database (it's a local database and unless you start creating Database links it won't play into the main DB.... I admit that I have used that excuse personnally to remove P.O. from a developper's workstation, reason was, the guy would constantly bypass my decisions without even trying to talk to me. We BOTH had issues and BOTH were responsible for lack of communication.)

  Select, update and insert can occur at the same time unless you specifically write a piece of code that precludes it ( would have to be pretty weird coding but everything is possible).

  My best suggestion (because that's what I did in the past and it worked for me) is to sit down with the guy and work it out. If he doesn't want to, invite your boss and his at a second discussion and bring up challenges that are interesting not problems... If you have solutions or even potential solutions to these CHALLENGES... bring them with a positive attitude and you will find that with time your relations will get better and solutions will present themselves...

Make the environment pleasant to work in and everything else will follow

Marc Mathieu
Network Analyst / Acting DBA
Reader's Digest Canada
email: marc_at_myself.com or marc_mathieu_at_readersdigest.com

Disclamer: This is taken from personal experiences and may or may not apply to you. Use you own jugement and don't blame me for your decisions....

John Caputo wrote:

> Joost Ouwerkerk's DBA is an idiot. Why don't you just say so? The
> chances of what you related here are small, and he must be an idiot if
>
> he says queries and updates can't be done at the same time because the
>
> queries could currupt the updates. I'm sure there is ALWAYS a remote
> possibility that something could go wrong, but I still think he's an
> idiot.
> > > >

> DanHW wrote:
>

> > Perhaps you can look at enough things to tune the statement, and/or
 check
> > the DB. If that is checks out, look elsewhere (ie, the network, your
 PCs