Re: tnsping params?

From: Miles Thomas <thomasm_at_"at".logica."dot".com>
Date: 1997/05/22

Configure TNSPING tracing by changing your sqlnet.ora file.

Use the SQLNET.ORA editor (if you have it), or add:

TNSPING.TRACE_LEVEL = ADMIN (can also be OFF or ON, ADMIN gives most info) TNSPING.TRACE_DIRECTORY = c:\orawin\network\trace

My example SQL*NET ora file (dont include the stuff after --)

AUTOMATIC_IPC = OFF -- speeds up client connections. Set on for server
SQLNET.EXPIRE_TIME = 5 -- dead connection detection (server only?) NAMES.DIRECTORY_PATH = (TNSNAMES) -- use tnsnames file only for name resolution
DISABLE_OOB = OFF -- controls nonblocking? USE_DEDICATED_SERVER = OFF -- If on, use a dedicated backend, off = use mts

                                        dispatcher/shared server
TRACE_UNIQUE_CLIENT = OFF -- each client trace file is unique if ON LOG_DIRECTORY_CLIENT = c:\orawin\network\log TRACE_LEVEL_CLIENT = OFF
TRACE_DIRECTORY_CLIENT = c:\orawin\network\trace

TNSPING.TRACE_LEVEL = ADMIN
TNSPING.TRACE_DIRECTORY  = c:\orawin\network\trace
SQLNET.CLIENT_REGISTRATION = MRT

NB: With sqlnet*2.3, sucessful tnsping does not gaurantee sucessful connection to database; it just checks that you can connect to a listener on the server. Always check with sql*plus or similar before declaring the network working!! Also, make sure you have 16 bit SQL*net installed and similarly configured as well as 32bit on W95 or WinNT if you are using win3.11 tools or odbc.

--
Miles Thomas
[Quoted] Logica UK Ltd

Cheryl M Kapec <kapecc_at_world.std.com> wrote in article
<EAJBAx.2J5_at_world.std.com>...

> There are a lot of interesting strings embedded in tnsping; and someone
in dejanews mentioned that they found
> the trace from tnsping useful. so.. how do you get this trace? are there
any useful params? of course,
> typing tnsping -h or /? or any flavor of that, gets you "a "failed to
resolve name" error.
> TIA for any help. (any documentation for it, anyplace? no mention of ti
in the "Understandiang SQL Net"