Crashing Designer/2000

From: Jan Lorenzen <jltekinc_at_csek.iprod.auc.dk>
Date: 1997/05/07

Using: 	Win NT 4.0 on the server and the client
	Designer/2000 1.3.2
	Oracle 7.3 workgroup-server on NT 4.0

We have just upgraded from Designer/2000 1.3 to 1.3.2, 'cause we need to the functionality for generating web-applications.

Since we have upgraded, the Database Design Wizard (DDW) crashes the system when generating. There are different problems and they happen at different times. The most common problem is, that the generator just stops while generating or when it is committing to the DB. The generator aint stopping, but seems to be stuck. The only solution is to kill the DDW. Sometimes its possible to fool the DDW to do the job when just creating one entity at a time and improving the generation step by step.

Sometimes the Database gets killed too. There are other problems, like a message "Assertion failed on file olchque.cpp, line 288" in the DDW whilst generating. A more rare error is, that the ER-modeller is getting stuck when creating an entity or relationship.

We suspect that the databses settings are wrong, but we have set the recommended settings for init.ora and even tried to beef 'em up, but the errors keep on coming. This night we have removed the old repository for Des/2000 and installed a new one, and still no improvement.

Looking forward for your help

Jan Lorenzen
Aalborg University, Denmark
jltekinc_at_csek.iprod.auc.dk Received on Wed May 07 1997 - 00:00:00 CEST

Original text of this message