Re: "Thou shalt use 'Shutdown Abort' whenever you shutdown the database." Makes sense?

From: Thomas Kyte <tkyte_at_us.oracle.com>
Date: 1997/05/02

They might be interested in the section from the Admin Guide, chapter 23:

<quote>
Performing Full
Offline Backups

Take a full offline backup of all files that constitute a database after the database is shut down to system–wide use in normal priority. A full backup taken while the database is open, after an instance crash or shutdown abort is useless. In such cases, the backup is not a full offline backup because the files are inconsistent with respect to the current point–in–time. The files that constitute the database are the datafiles, online redo log files, and control file. </quote>

[Quoted] [Quoted] I would recommend that they use a shutdown immediate, or if they must shutdown abort, at least start the database backup and then shutdown normal. The docs are pretty clear, shutdown abort is a last resort, not a standard operating procedure.

On Fri, 02 May 1997 16:01:51 -0600, paul.amaral_at_fmr.com wrote:

>HELP:
>
>I have a question for the Oracle and Imaging gurus.
>
>While auditing the FileNet (imaging application) installation at our site,
>I noticed a script that is quite disturbing. (shutdown.sql under
>/fnsw/local/oracle)
>
>In this script I noticed a "shutdown abort" EVERY TIME the instance is
>shutdown. (also just before a backup is performed)
>
>I escalated this matter to FileNet, and they said that a "shutdown abort
>does not impose any danger to the Oracle instance or to the backups".
>
>As a DBA, I learned from Oracle that "shutdown abort" is a NO-NO except as
>a last resort. Did anything change since I last took my first and last DBA
>courses (about 8 years ago and about three years ago)?
>
>Every bit of information I receive will be very beneficial in our
>negotiations with FileNet to change their script. Also, if you need
>further details, please drop me a line.
>
>Thanks a lot.
>
>Paul.

Thomas Kyte
tkyte_at_us.oracle.com
Oracle Government
Bethesda MD

Opinions are mine and do not necessarily reflect those of Oracle Corporation Received on Fri May 02 1997 - 00:00:00 CEST

Original text of this message