Designer/2000 Questions

From: Nathan Secrist <nsecrist_at_evolving.com>
Date: 1997/04/30

Everyone:

I have a few Designer/2000 questions for you:

  1. I want to create alter table scripts when I make a change to an existing table structure. When I use the 'Generate SQL DDL' utility, it always wants to create the table from scratch, rather than creating an alter script. In the Database Design Wizard I see an options screen where it gives me the ability to choose Create or Alter, but how do I actually generate the DDL for an alter script. Could someone walk me through this process?
  2. Is there a way to do mass updates to the D/2000 repository tables using SQL to do repetitive tasks?

    Example: I reverse-engineered about 75 tables using the     reverse engineer facility and it worked like a charm.     However, for each table and column that it reverse engineered,     it put -- Retrofitted in the 'Comment' field for all 600+     columns in all my tables. I want to set the comment field

  • blank. With my limited knowledge of D/2000 the fastest way to do this would be to go to the RON and go to each column individually and delete the text in the Comment field. Is it possible or is it safe to do direct SQl against the repository similar to: UPDATE table_name set COMMENT = Null where COMMENT = '-- Retrofitted'. Obviously I would have to know what table name to go after, but I am wondering if Oracle recommends doing that. Give my some insight on this. It will take forever to update all these fields by hand. 3. How do I create different versions of the DDL. In other words I make significant changes to the tables, generate the DDL and create new tables. I want to say that what I have created is Version 3 of the database. Is there a way to 'save' a version of the DDL, similar to doing a software build? 4. Overall understanding of D/2000. How is the best way to learn the functionality of D/2000. I guess you can never learn 'all' the functionality, but we are only using D/2000 to manage our database schema. The Oracle documentation is very weak in my opinion - I think they expect you to spend $3000 going to all their training courses. I bought the 'Designer/2000 Handbook' by Oracle Press, but it is more of a 'theory' type book, not a step-by-step walkthrough. What other books can you recommend, or other ways to learn the functionality.

I hope I haven't been too long-winded. If you can answer any or all of these questions, I would appreciate it!

Nathan

| Nathan G. Secrist |

| Evolving Systems, Inc. | Phone: (303) 802-1307 |
| 9777 Mount Pyramid Court | Fax: (303) 802-1420 |
| Englewood, CO 80112 | Email: nsecrist_at_evolving.com |