Forms: Filling Block-Columns with Values from a Table

From: <aut7b1p_at_sbs.de>
Date: 1997/04/29

Because I received many useful answers on my first question, which leaded to success, I hope for answers to my second question:

I've got a detail-block, associated with a database-table. When a new record is inserted into the master table, I whish to fill the detail-block with default-values based on a query from another table.

I've tried many ways, including

  • create an additional block for the source-table and try to copy the data to the destination-block,
  • create a record group and try to fill it with data from the sourcetable and pass it to the destination block, which lead to massive PL/SQL-programming (perhaps because I'm to unexpirienced to do it better).

I think, both will be work, but I don't realised the way right now.

The biggest problem this time themes to be to populate the detail-block _before_ I insert the master-record into the database. Therefore the insert should do the master and detail data at once.

Any helpful hints ?

Thx, bye Juergen

P.S.: I realy will create further applications on my own, but right now I've got loosy documentation (Online Help, "Oracle Developer /2000 Handbook").
There comes a Forms-book from O'Reilly, and I buy it the day it is available. Suggestions on additional books will be great !