Re: Population Tools for Data Warehousing

From: Steve Corbett <stevec_at_fcs.wa.gov.au>
Date: 1997/04/29

Gene Fernandez wrote:
> Does anyone recommend any particular tool for the population of an Oracle
> data warehouse?

it would help if you told us where the data was coming from? if it is only coming from Oracle tables (as opposed to Micrsosoft Access etc) then you have a few options...
what we (Forms V3, rdbms V7 site) are doing is: * load the Warehouse with the core tables needed from the operational systems daily back-up.
* create oracle views to give a user freindly view of the operational data.
* create oracle tables daily/weekly to give aggregated, summarised, scrubbed view of data. you could do this with pl/sql scripts but the approach we take is: a pl/sql procedure imbedded in a FormV3 which is run in batch/background mode. since pl/sql has poor debug and display mechanisms, by imbedding it in a Form we can get instant syntax check when developing and display test results on the screen by running the form interactively when developing. when fully tested we just run the form in batch mode. Received on Tue Apr 29 1997 - 00:00:00 CEST

Original text of this message